“Rio Accessible has a mission to provide personalized tourism services for any type of person, including people with disabilities. These disabilities include, but are not limited to, reduced mobility at birth, recent disabilities acquired over the years, and/or senior citizen disabilities. We have trained professionals from diverse backgrounds of care taking professions that have vast experience with the public. This allows us to know we have the right care taking professionals for the job, and also makes for a more inclusive society that respects and knows how to accommodate people with diverse and specific needs.
The company was started by Luciana Bonguardo, a tour guide with extensive experience guiding local and international groups, along with working for a wide array of local and international tour companies. She realized that there was a void in the market for tour companies that specialize in accessible tourism in Rio de Janeiro. With this being said, Rio Accessible brings adequate staff and infrastructure that facilitates access to people with certain needs to the city’s attractions, while bringing and building a perspective of social inclusion.
- Educational, cultural, and environmental sightseeing tours, that can be customized by client request
- Art therapy with professionals that can give awe-inspiring sensorial experiences: “Putting yourself into others’ shoes”
- Projects in cultural centers and/or major tourist attractions, with conventional guidance, guidance accompanied by audio, or guidance by a sign language professional with activities relating to each place and/or theme
- Lectures and awareness-raising consultancy opportunities for companies, schools, and churches
- Professional training on teaching the public about people with disabilities
- Transportation adapted for people who use folding or motorized wheelchairs
- Hiring sign language interpreter to come along the event.